Wednesday, July 6, 2011

An Autumn Veil: Slowly but Surely

Current Word Count: 108,000
Listening to: The Swell Season, This Low
____

A Prelude: My Travels



I am sitting at the kitchen table of my friends Lauren and Allie in Bowling Green, KY, following a road trip that began June 9th with a flight to Atlanta, GA, and brought me and Burks to Fayetteville, NC, Yorktown, VA, Washington, D.C, Philadelphia, PA, New York, NY, Boston, MA, Richmond, VA and finally Birmingham, AL. In two days I will board a plane in Nashville, TN and fly to Chicago where I will spend five weeks staying with my friend Alex and his family in Crystal Lake, IL, until school resumes in mid-August.

My travels themselves could reckon a lot of blog posts (sights, sounds, smells, people) but that's not why I'm writing. I'm writing because I woke up this morning and said to myself, "Today you will write something."

I've been reading Stephen King's On Writing (I got a lot done on the hilly backroads of rural Pennsylvania, particularly) and could have slapped myself when I read that Mr. King takes 2.5 hours out of the beginning of each day to write between 1,000 and 2,000 words. I've probably written 2,000 words int he last month. It's kind of hard to get into the guts of your story when you're carrying a twenty pound bag and barely keeping up with a long-legged bronze god.

As John Gardner said in On Becoming a Novelist, (and King makes a similar claim) art is a solitary thing. Being on the road has convinced me of something: I like writing more than I like traveling. If I ever attain my dream of going to New Zealand, I will probably find a rustic house with big windows and wood furniture, acquire a lot of tea, find the closest and best coffee shop and spend a lot of time sitting around typing.

Also, I'll walk the path to Mordor.



Where are We?



We are currently anchored about 70% through chapter 22, "To Reap a Whirlwind," as we have been for quite a while. Not considering that I have to go back and change certain key details, this has been the most slow-going thing I've ever written. I think this quote from King's On Writing sums it well:

The realization that stopping a piece of work just because it's hard, either emotionally or imaginatively, is a bad idea. Sometimes you have to go on when you don't feel like it, and sometimes you're doing good work when it feels like all you're managing is to shovel shit from a sitting position.

Yeah, something like that.

I will not quit.



Other Happenings

I have not stopped with the commision works. Harvey Dunga from the Philippines has continued to offer good work at very reasonable prices, so I've picked up a few more drawings from him: Shoji and Cerinth

Shoji Copy

Cerinth Final

Blog entires on idea progression for the characters' physiognomies forthcoming!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I do appreciate the time you have taken out of your day to pop in.