Friday, August 6, 2010

Map of the World

Current Word Count: ~77,000 in the manuscript, ~92,000 with later material that is already written.
Listening To: Liberty Shield by Immediate Music from The Last Airbender Japanese trailer.

____



After a sickening amount of time working on the World map, I've finally reached a point where I feel comfortable posting part of it: the northern hemisphere.

Initially, the map encompassed everything you see below and nothing more, but I decided to add a southern hemisphere for various reasons. At this point in my thinking, I don't believe we'll have anything going on down in the south during the events of the first book, though there is a serious likelihood you will see some events in books 2 & 3 taking place in the southern hemisphere.

Not that anyone reading this will remember that when the time comes, but, figured I'd put it out there anyhow.



The red line indicates the equator. City key for New Earth in top right. Mile marker in bottom left.

Areas of the Wildlands are not indicated at this time, at least in the online version of the map. Please excuse the scales of rivers and mountains, which are bigger than normal so you can get an idea of where they are located.

You may pay attention to the detailed cartography, which I spent probably 30 hours on total. Whole thing made on MS paint, with the assistance of some colored pencil sketches I haven't scanned yet.

NOTE: On closer inspection, I see that you can't really make out all the details, particularly the labels of city names. At this point I don't know how to remedy that, as the actual image is pretty big for a paint document.

____



Ark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting my blog! I do appreciate the time you have taken out of your day to pop in.